If you’re in the fitness industry, something about you is truly unique. You care, about your clients, your family and your community. You enjoy helping people achieve their goals. You are a NICE person! You are nice to everyone except yourself! You want to do the right thing and do it well at your core. However, you may be hard on yourself for all those things that you are not good at. Admin? Finance? Follow up? Spreadsheets make you cringe, and you beat yourself up about it. What if you didn’t need to do that anymore? What if you could take another perspective to boost your confidence and business? Here’s how to leverage your gifts and talents to succeed in the fitness industry.
- Identify your blocks to leveraging your gifts and talents
- Identify your natural talents
- Get support with your weaknesses
- Choose an AI approach (Appreciative Inquiry)
- Believe in your dreams!
Identify your blocks to leveraging your gifts and talents
Do you remember those cringeworthy moments in school, the bad marks, the struggling with homework, and the less than helpful comments from your teachers? “You need to WORK harder on this!”
As you tried to improve those things you were not naturally good at, those faults and errors overshadowed the other areas where you performed like a rock star. Your overall confidence plummeted, and all you could focus on was trying harder to get better at things you hated doing!
This approach has no grounds for improving performance. It has the opposite effect.
Understanding your blind spots can help you move past the barriers. Switching your focus from those pesky weaknesses to your underrated strengths can be challenging and require a mindset change. Here are a few to look out for.
You find your strengths easy – If something is easy for you, you’re likely to think it would be easy for everyone. Chances are, you wouldn’t value something that comes easy to you.
You compare yourself to others – There are always many other people who are better than you are at that thing. For example, people might say to you, “You’re a great speaker,” and while you may see this is true when people say it, your mind might jump to a list of all the people you know who are even more skilled than you in that area.
You have been trained to focus on your weaknesses – The repeated years of focusing on weaknesses will take some time to change. Since childhood, focusing on weaknesses has been ingrained in us, so you must be kind to yourself as you update this approach.
You haven’t identified your strengths – You often spend so much time focusing on your weaknesses that you have neglected to identify your strengths.
Consider the above list for your blocks; identifying them is the first step!
Identify your natural talents.
Suppose you’ve ever TRIED to fit in, to be part of a group of people or in circumstances that felt unnatural. In that case, you know how much energy it takes to constantly “perform” in the futile pursuit of making everyone like and accept you. By identifying your natural talents, you free up enormous energy to focus on the best things you do. This allows you to deliver quality work that shifts your focus from what other people think. When you focus on the things you do best, your confidence grows, and you become more authentic.
Here are some questions to ask yourself to identify your natural talents.
- What do you have a natural knack for?
- When do you feel most in flow?
- What do your friends and colleagues always ask you to do?
- What would you do even if you didn’t get paid?
Want to leverage your gifts and talents and take it deeper? Talent Dynamics is a powerful talent profiling tool that highlights people’s natural gifts and abilities, allowing them to create success with less effort by focusing on getting into a flow. The fundamental principles behind Talent Dynamics are:
- Things change over time. (seasons)
- Combines Carl Jung’s study of archetypes and synchronicity
- Relates to our natural talents to eight intuitive profiles.
- Links each profile to a set of strategies that lead us to our flow state when followed.
- Each profile is not a box to sit in but a game to be played and mastered.
- Creates the invisible thread (sustainable trust) that links us to each other.
- Rooted in the 5000-year-old “I Ching” ancient Chinese philosophical approach embracing and working with how
Your Talent Dynamics Profile report maps out a strategy to get into flow and deliver unquestionable value!
You can book a TALENT DYNAMICS PERSONAL PROFILE + FLOW ROADMAP SESSION HERE
Get support with your weaknesses
Say it out loud – “No one is good at everything!” And that is perfect, exactly as nature intended! Some fit pros are excellent with groups while others excel in one-on-one situations; others would focus on programming and assessments instead. Trying to be everything to everyone will break trust within your clients and customers in those areas of business you will just never be great at! For example, you might be great during the session and truly present with your clients, but you may forget to follow up or confirm the next booking. There is nothing wrong with you! You just need some support! Luckily there are some great apps that address most of these issues, OR you can access a virtual assistant using affordable apps like Upwork or Fivver to help you fill those gaps and complete those dreaded tasks.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
Choose an AI approach (Appreciative Inquiry)
Appreciative Inquiry is a way to leverage your gifts and talents and explore your existing successes. Switching it to a positive approach leads to extraordinary results. AI allows you to leverage your talents and gifts building more trust and value for your clients and enjoyment for you.
The four components of the Appreciative Inquiry process
- Discovery: start by exploring “the best of what is,” identifying your strengths, best practices, and sources of excellence, vitality, and peak performance.
- Dream: next envision a future you really want – a future where you are fully engaged and successful with a core purpose and goals
- Design: leverage the best of what is and your visions for the future to design high-impact strategies that move you in the right direction.
- Destiny (sometimes also called Deploy): put the strategies into action and revise as necessary.
So, are you ready to start focusing on your strengths? Focus on what IS working and moving forward from there?