It doesn’t matter how good you are as a personal trainer! If you can’t sell and overcome objections you will not make any bugs bunny!
This was a big issue of mine at the beginning of my career. Along the journey I began to see patterns in peoples hesitations. I hope the cheat sheet below can be as successful for you as it has been for me!
- What’s the one thing stopping you from getting started right now?
- What’s the one question you need to ask me that lets you know you are ready to get started right now?
- Besides XXXX is there anything else stopping you from getting started right now?
2) I want to think about it
- What exactly would you like to think about?
- What would have to happen right now for you to say yes and start getting your results?
- What’s the one question you need to ask me right now that will give you enough information to get started?
3) Talk to my partner
- What exactly do you want to talk to your partner about?
- If your partner was here right now, do you think he/she would be supportive?
- If he she was here right now, what they say?
- Has there ever been a time that your partner has bought something when you weren’t there that you have been supportive of?
- Have you ever bought something for yourself without your partner there?
4) Check my budget
- Which part of your budget do you need to check?
- If you were to find the $99 in your budget right now, where would you find it?
- What actions would you need to take to be able to afford it?
- What is one thing in your budget; that if you stopped spending $99 dollars a week on right now that would allow you to start achieving
- results faster and be able to afford this program to guarantee your results?
5) More info
- What exactly would you like more information on?
- What’s the one question you need to ask me which will give you the answer you need to get started?
6) I’m not sure if it’s for me
- What would need to happen for you to feel like it is for you?
- How would you know it is for you and what would need to happen then…?
- Sometimes we don’t know if something is or is not for us until we just give it a go and get started. Then once we start we realise how important it is. Have you experienced that before?
7) General Closes
- Earlier you were saying that motivation is your biggest issue. You also said that achieving your goal was a 9/10 on the importance scale…
- Do you believe you would be willing to make some sacrifices in order to start changing your life for the better?
Have I missed anything? Feel free to share some of your favourite strategies or thoughts on the subject.
Nathan Quinn is an Exercise Scientist and Personal Training Academy’s senior lecture. Nathan both develops and runs many of PT Academy’s courses and corporate projects. An author and expert writer for many magazines and organisations, Nathan brings an abundance of knowledge and expertise to Personal Training Academy.